Woolacombe is one of the places I keep going back to. I fell in love with the North Devon seaside village when my husband first took me here in 2003; he has been holidaying here since he was knee high and I’m so glad he introduced it to me all those years ago. Last weekend, with a group of family, we headed south to Woolacombe once again and as always, had a wonderful time.
Even though we’ve stayed here countless times, both camping and in hotels, we try to do something different during each stay. This time, we paid a long overdue first visit to Barricane Beach, to sample their much talked about curry.Barricane Beach is a secluded cove that’s about a ten minute walk from the centre of Woolacombe and the café here serves Sri Lankan curry by night. It’s a bring your own booze affair and we took a picnic blanket so we could eat on the beach. There are a few picnic benches but it’s much more romantic sitting on the beach and looking out to sea as the sun goes down! The curry was delicious – I can’t believe it took us all these years to get round to going.As well as trying out new things, these are some of our favourite things to do whilst we’re in Woolacombe:
- Catching waves bodyboarding – we did this on Christmas Day morning last year which was pretty cool
- Scouring the beach in search of driftwood
- Walking along the south west coast path
- Having a cold one in The Red Barn – they have live music here on a Friday and the food is really reasonable too
- Tucking into a cream tea – Beachcomber Café’s are really good
- Dreaming of being a surfer and browsing the surf shops
- Watching magical sunsets over the sea
Whatever we do, and whatever the weather, we always know we are going to have a brilliant time. It’s a place that holds so many special memories for us and I know there are lots more to come!